Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Visualizing With Technology

  • Explain "Digital Storytelling by Kate Kemker." What do you think it would work in your classroom?
Kate Kemker describes technology as a tool to create a story. There are three activities in creating a story that consist of preproduction, production, and postproduction. Students brainstorm and write their story first. Then they shoot their video and then revise it. Digital storytelling is definitely a good way for students to interact with each other. I feel that the only difference from writing a story on paper is the technology involved. Overall this is beneficial to students on their behalf because when creating the story they are able to see how all the small pieces of information needed are pieced together in order to have a successful story. I think this would definitely be something I use in my classroom at one point or another if I have older elementary kids because they will each have a role in putting together the story and have the ability to create their video with the effects they want. This will keep them engaged in their story and enhance their learning.

  • Mathematics is one of the most abstract subject-matter domains. Helping students to visualize mathematical concepts is very useful in helping students make math real. What other methods suggested in the textbook will also help make math more real to students?
I think the only way to make math more real than using graphing calculators and other technology as visualizations is to relate math problems to real world situations.
  • Is it possible to learn from TV alone?--that is, learn how to do something merely from watching TV instruction?
I think it depends on what it is one is wanting to learn. If it's to learn new words, then one would need to read. TV instruction is not going to expand your vocabulary in order to help you read. If what one is wanting to learn requiring practice than TV alone is not going to help. On the other hand, if it's learning how to solve problems such as math, then yes. I honestly feel that TV wouldn't be one of my options I'd use to learn something. I'd like to learn with an instructor present so I can see what mistakes I'm making and have someone to correct me. One will definitely have to resort to other sources other than TV to accomplish a skill. 

1 comment:

  1. You are right about learning from TV, Maria. I think it depends on what one is wanting to learn. We also need to keep in mind what type of learner we want to use it with.

    Maria Mendez

    ReplyDelete